When you talk about food and students in schools, all kinds of red flags come up. Of course, you would want to make sure that food served or given to children are clean and safe to eat.
image source: pinterest.com
How do you ensure this?
To keep food safe for consumption of children, you can look at three areas: storage, preparation and handlers. Here are some points to remember:
- Frozen food should be held at zero degrees Fahrenheit or lower during delivery and storage
- Always keep hot food hot and cold food cold
- When food is ready for storage, make sure to refrigerate immediately
- Avoid cross contamination during preparation
- When you are in doubt whether food should be served or not, don’t. Just throw it out
- Make sure that all equipment to be used for preparation of food are scrubbed and sanitized
- Wash hands with soap and water before handling food
- Clothes should also be clean
- When available, keep hair in a hairnet
- Use a clean spoon and not the ladle to taste food